Tuesday, July 20, 2010

It's hot!


Everyone is talking about it ~ high humidity and heat! But hey it's July in the south it's suppose to be hot, so what is a girl to do... fire the kiln! ~ to a full glass fuse to make a bowl from what I call a jug wine bottle. Actually I love the color of this glass, it's clear green. The bowl is just free form meaning I break up the bottle and arrange the glass in a somewhat circle and then fire it flat. Bubbles and holes emerge making a one of a kind piece of glass. Kinda organic looking. Then after this cools I slump it or melt it into the shape of a bowl. I have to open the kiln lid and vent it down to around a 1,000 degrees so 1400 plus degrees feels hot and when I walk away ...it's cool...here in the south, here in the heat and humidity...
Pictured is an Assin Bug! I think he's great because he is eating a Japanese beetle. I'm not sure why but I consider most bugs male...
On the farm....I started some collards, mustard spinach greens and kale for the fall garden.

I planted a whole bag of peas very thickly in a small spot. (I read about this in my English garden magazine), when the peas emerge and are about 2 inches high I'll cut them down for a wonderful salad. I'll let you know how this goes as my space is limited so I'm always looking for a dense fast crop that is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment